Thursday, July 16, 2009

Making progress

Making the jump in the knitting that I am still working on, it has been a project that seems to take a little longer than I expected. Maybe cause I'm a little under the weather and try'n to see things the way that they are suppose to be seen? I am not quite sure still try'n to figure things out. All I know for now is that we are going to Durango, Colorado for a week to help with the VBS week at Grace Church located in Durango. I am excited to volunteer and do something with the kids. Especially mine, I am always amazed at the things that they do and how much they enjoy the projects that they have scheduled for the evening.

Last night we went to VBS at the Church of Christ of Kayenta and it was delightful, along for the help are people that are from out of town helping with the VBS also fun! They are young people that are fresh and so optimistic in all that they do. I looked into all the fresh young faces that they are and there to serve the Lord in so much to be so kind hearted with everything. They did make it fun and the kids just loved the time with them.

The knitting has been slow for me lately and I apologize for the inconvenience of the whole "what in the world?" I have been lacking in the purpose of the knitting memoirs, but then again maybe not? Yes this is a memoir of things that go on on a day to day bases and it is does along with knitting. I do let you in on the knitting projects that I am doing and so fourth. Just ignore the questions of my intent, at times I don't even know either.

On to the time of my memoirs, yesterday my uncle and his wife, along with his son my cousin brother, came out from Waterflow, NM. They were just being tourists hanging out around the beautiful area of Monument Valley and wanting to head on out to Canyon De Chelly. I had asked if they wanted me to guide them down the Valley and just hang out, and they accepted my cordual way of inviting myself. For me I was glad that I asked because it was the most funnest and absolutely beautiful drive to a place that I see time and time again. You never get tired of seeing the handy work of our God.

The way it starts out is that the other day I received a call from a phone number that was a 505 number, I thought to myself I better call this back. That day I was boiling beans forthe kids and I, a little family like ours and me making a big pot of chili beans? For what reason is this for? In the past actually when I start to make a big meal that I think it is gonna go to waist at that thought it's always for a reason. When I received the call I was ecstatic to hear the voice on the other line, my cousin. My Yazh's (uncle, my son in Navajo) son to be specific one of his sons, so at that moment I had to make at least one good guess at who it could be. Definitely not Lorne . . . . . . . maybe Leotis, but not . . . . . . I know? It is Kirk, Oh man Kirk!

I hadn't seen him since way back in I think it was December or January in the parking lot of Wal-mart with my sister in Farmington, NM. My kids were with us at the time and it was so funny, Payton my son was harp'n on me on wanting to go to the bathroom. At the time he was 4 yrs old, poor boy I was in the moment just talk'n away visiting along with my sister and my son snuck behind my sisters vehicle and urinated in the parking lot where no one could see him. At least for me I noticed a small river of liquid flowing near us. I gasped out loud at it and then chuckled afterwards with apology. My sister didn't find that too amusing but Kirk did point out, "it's okay at least for now that he is just a kid, remember he is going to grow up and be a man. So it is not going to be so cute or amusing anymore, many find that kind of stuff offensive."

I took that into consideration and told my son, "you need to be careful when you want to go to the bathroom. Watch out for yourself especially when you become an older boy and when that time comes you'll have to use the restrooms available nearby." He understood and went on pretend playing while waiting for us. That was the last that I saw of him, until this past week, the time was so fun and sad to see them go.

When he called and told me that they were in town I knew there was something fishy going on, there was a reason I made chili beans today! To top it off making the fry bread to go along with the beans, "YUM", so I told him what I was doing and to come on over to feast. We ended the conversation after that just so they could get settled in to their motel in Kayenta. Soon after that I drove over to the motel to lead them the way to our home, we shook hands and hugged then visited for awhile and off to the feasting we went. I felt bad for my uncle Hansen he was exhausted from getting up early that day and then gett'n on their way, he loved and adored my kids so much as you know one should. So did my lovely aunt Cathrine, they indulged and reveled in the company of the little rats that I have. I proceeded to make the dough for the bread and also setting the table, but then Cathrine offered to help and made the rest of the fry bread for us and it was delicious for us all. Ending the night with full bellies and looking forward to having a good nights rest.

The next morning I got up at 5:30 am in the morning to get ready and full of excitement to having more visiting to do, also guiding them to Monument Valley, UT. A place that my dad derived from and where my dads family still dwell. I waited enjoying my coffee for the morning and gett'n the needed things for the kids and for myself, checking the jeep for how much fuel was in there and also icing down waters and sodas in the ice chest. The time came to go and meet the family at 8 am and head on out, proceeding toward the View where the motel and resturant were. Went through the visitors gate, cause you we are Navajo's, privileged to enter without paying a fee. We drove up toward the Motel and parked in the designated area, got out and walked to the motel restaurant.

I have to tell you if you ever get a chance to go to Monument Valley, UT go to the View to stay or eat it is worth the breathtaking view. That morning, of course it is my first time having breakfast there, they had buffet, good food that was prepped accordingly. We were asked if we wanted a table away from the sun or a table by the window? We chose the one by the window, it was all and everything to see the smiles on all the Happy people there.

Sat down at our table and just visited some more, with coffee and water, the kids to my surprise was on their best behavior than I have seen in a long time. I enjoyed it. We looked out the view of the Monument Valley that was breathtaking and awesome. You can see for almost many miles, to see the Ute Mountain and the mountains of Blanding, Monticello, UT. Then toward the southeast is the Mountains near Teesnospos, AZ. all the Four Corners area, very pretty. We had a very good breakfast that they had in display, fresh scrambled eggs, crispy bacon and sausage, fruit, yogurt, wheat and white bread with a toaster to for your conveiniece. It also displayed even french toast, "YUM".

All was delightful and delicious, we proceeded to the gift shop connecting to the restaurant with arts and crafts that were for the spendy. Beautiful handcrafted sterling silver jewelry, hand crafted pottery with designs that explode with Native American Indian Beauty. They also had John Wayne memorabilia too, of course there is a picture of my nali (grandpa) on the wall participating on a sand painting for a ceremony. Picture was taken in 1958, my cousin and aunt said that it was too bad that he wasn't looking at the camera. I know but a have a similar picture of a shot of his face and working on the same sand painting on the ground.

The time was spent in awe, of all the things that they had inside, we proceeded outside and sat out on the balcony over looking the scenery once again toward the Valley. Taking it all in and enjoying the warm sun and the fresh smell of the desert. We took pictures with the family and the kids, then off we went down the Valley, the roads were rough and terrainial so we went slow. My son sat in the back of their truck that we took and we kept going down the road. stopped and checked out the Three Sisters rock and went up a bit toward the vendors that were selling their beautiful jewelry. There the tourist got their pictures taken sitting a horse over looking the famous Mittens and the Three Sisters. Not sure how much they charged for that but it was fun for them to be where they made the John Wayne Movies. Where the vendors were selling was where John Ford filmed his movies. It's so fun to be out there and imagine the west that they portrayed, the Texas that they made it to be, desolate and the way the west was at their trying times.

It was warm, the sun beating down on us and you could feel the dry climate in your body. Good thing we brought alot of water, it's good to bring water out there even though your not gonna do any major hiking. I find that even when I am just sitting there for a long period of time and under the shade that I get dehydrated. It's brutal out there when you are not use to it, now my family they can endure the long heated days out there and be fine. They are not complaintive of the scorching weather, not like me, but trying to get use to the fact that it is something that you have to train your body to do. With that heat in Monument Valley you can notice it in your mouth, cotton mouth and the bitter taste, when you notice that, get some water fast!

We stopped at the vendors and saw the talents of my people, they are special to endure the heat all day long to display their blessed gift. I saw many jewelry that I wanted and thought later when I am into some money I'm going to take trip there and shop from them. I took over the driving to show them around and took them to scenic view that I remembered my grandma's picture was taken. This photo of her was absolutely gorgeous, she has that look that is unforgettable and gentle. In photos she never looks straight into the camera, only shows her side view of herself, I was told that she really didn't care too much for the camera, but when she did she made that photograph beautiful.


At that spot aunt Cathrine loved the scene of the valley, we headed on down back to the View parking lot. Got ourselves situated and they headed on their way with one of Gods majestic beauty that He bestowed upon us. That day they headed on to their next stop, Canyon De Chelly, now that is one of my favorite places to visit too. All these places are even more beautiful when the rains come in the spring time awesome and worth it. I do hope that this trip they got to take time to see was unforgettable and hope they felt blessed. Iknow that I felt blessed that they were here with my kids and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment